Thursday, April 28, 2011

Writer and book

I'm finally getting around to this. I'm half way through "Soul Hunt" by  Margaret Ronald. She is very good, and this book is great. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it since I knew what the title referenced but I'm glad I did, its not what I expected.  Get this Urban Fantasy series, kind of dark. No, not kinda of, definitely dark. But Ronald's does it so good you like it being dark even if that isn't your thing. 

Right now she is doing a series of posts on revising her next book.
But she has publish gobs of short stories with about every pro market you can think of. Don't think WotF is included though. Anyway she has three or four books publish in the Hound series. Her magic makers are not called wizards, they work with the undercurrent. Compared to wizards in other books they are rather weak I think, with a couple of exceptions.

But her storytelling ability is out of this world. I must say that I am in love with her storytelling while at the same time, as I have mentioned before, she is one of the very few writers I'm jealous of. Well, litely jealous. Is there a word for less than jealous? That's not envious, seems like there is.

Anyway, one reason for this is that about the same time I discovered Beneath Ceaseless Skies, after my first or second rejection, I check out her web page. There, on a list on the side, staring me in the face is BCS...and Analog and Asimov and F&SF to name a few.
I know why she made it all of those...and why I haven't.

And back to "Soul Hunt"

Just finished a scene where the MC has to swim in a reservoir to find a memory town. You have to read it to see what I mean, even though that's my term so as not to give away too much. Its her third book. Her MC is a Hound, she can smell out anything or anyone. There's a reason for that even if she doesn't know it at first. I will say that magic smells like gunpowder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm working on turning lead into Gold