Saturday, January 1, 2011

More Misc stuff and Nano novel update

I got interrupted with my last post so here is what I was going to say.


The opening of the Garrett book has a lot of chapters one to two pages long. It caused problems with getting into the book.  And the first few pages do not feel like Cook. He might have been in a hurry or it could be because of the tiny chapters. Or maybe he used a ghost writer. It happens even with some of the better long term pros, I hear. But in either case I started another book because I was reading Cook's book to fast. It will be a long time before the next Garrett book comes out, I don't want to read it that fast. Quite a few pages into the book and it starts to feel like Cook's writing and at the same time the chapters start to get longer.

----------

Now for some new stuff. I still would love to go to a writing workshop. Of course being excepted would be a problem and so would the money depending on where and how long it is. I have some money saved for one. Dean Wesley Smith has a workshop in March he said I could go to, if there are still openings by now. And I believe I have the money for it. It's not so much about writing as it is about how to write and the business of writing. I believe some of it would be sort of boring because I know some things about the business side. How much would be boring I don't know, I imagine half but that could be way off. Dean doesn't think I can handle the first stage writing workshop. It involves tons of writing in a short period of time.  I think I would do better than he thinks. I have written under pressure before but on the other hand not on this scale. I might do better than he thinks but not as good as I think.
But there's still one big personal problem that would keep me from going. It's not money, it's not being able to take time off from work or any other of the usual excuses. I'm ashamed to say what it is.


And I'm sort of proud to say that I now have a tiny bit over 70,000 words on my NaNo novel. That's good, but at the same time. I have one more scene to write and most probably clarifying a few small scenes and descriptions and I don't think I will be able to get it over 80,000 words. That depends on the scene too. I figure it will be somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 words. I could be wrong as I was wrong about the new ending I did. That had a whole lot more words than I figured it would. But I shall see. I may have to add the scene where she finds out about who her mother really is, I was hoping to save it for the next book.



Hopefully there will be more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm working on turning lead into Gold