Saturday, October 13, 2012

How to Write

I do this type of post so rare that I forget what I've called the others or how many I have.
I'll try to remember this title.


Anyway:

For at least a couple of years I've known that you are suppose to make your hero work at solving problems, situations and dangers. There have been times during the first revision I decide oops that is too easy, so I make it harder. Now there I seem to be doing it even more.

The reason for this is something that David Farland said. I can't find the exact quote right now, thought it would be easy to find but I looked through his web site and I couldn't find it, I apologize for not having a link to it.

But he said to make your MC work. For some reason that seems to have gotten inside of me and as I said up above I find myself making my MC work even harder not to mention putting him or her or it in danger.

So the place he said could be in

http://forum.writersofthefuture.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1499


Or in one of his Daily Kicks--Short for Kick In The Pants. A note he sends out saying something about writing. It says Daily Kick but it's not...daily. Sometimes it is, a time or two he has sent out more than one in a day but when he's super busy it could be two to five days between kicks.

More on that here or if you want to subscribe to them.

http://www.davidfarland.net/writing_tips/?p=3


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm working on turning lead into Gold