Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WOTF-KD Wentworth-me


For years WotF had a first reader by the name of K. D. Wentworth. An accomplished writer on her own and from what I understand a good, fun person. She died a few weeks ago. I was hoping to meet her at a WotF awards ceremony but to my sorrow I won't be able to now. She is the one that decided on all of my Honorable Mentions.

I'm still not quite sure how it worked but evidently She read all the stories that came in and decided on the HMS and which ones would go beyond that stage. At that point other judges took over. That set of judges changed every so often and were well known writers. About everyone you can name in the SF- Fantasy fields were judges at some point. Well, with the exception of some of the newer ones.

I have sent and posted my condolences to everyone I could but I wanted to honer her too. Someone on hatrack went to great trouble to go through her advice and post it. Some of it is aimed at WotF contest but some is general. It would be worth the time for any writer to read through it. I mean time, there are pages of it.

 Her advice


Which leads me to me.

She had read my story for the last quarter she judged before her untimely death. and declared the story to be a Honorable Mention. Not as good as a Finalist-which isn't as good as winning- but still I feel honored that my story was one of the last HMs.      

I assume the story still needs some significant work-of course KDW may have thought it needed more struggle or just not what they wanted at WotF or ? but at the same time I think it's safe to assume it needs something more. 

It got as far as it did thanks to some great crits from hatrackers. It's just under 6,000 words long. Space Opera but more. I was surprised it got a HM. The sections that deal with my MC's emotional issues I believe need help. I added to them because it seems like WotF likes stores with struggle in them so I went back and emphasized the emotional struggle more. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. Most not have been too bad but I will never know if it cost me or helped me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm working on turning lead into Gold